Sunday, November 18, 2012

Butter butter butter butter ...

So first of all:

A pound of butter.  Diced.

I knew from previous experience that if I tried to dice that much butter at once, it would melt before I finished.  So I cut the butter into slices, then put all but the group I was working with into the freezer.  Once finished, the diced bits went into the freezer.  This worked perfectly.  Having the butter in the freezer for those few moments made it infinitely easier to work with without having it turn into a glacial slab.

It took longer for the butter to incorporate than I had expected, but I wasn't sure whether this was due to the quantity or the fact that the diced pieces had been in the fridge.  As usual, I went a bit generous with the vanilla.  I ended up with a lot more dough than I had expected, but found that I didn't need a rolling pin:  it was much easier to smooth the dough out with my (floured) hands.

On the other hand, I had to flour the cutter I used multiple times, wiping it down and then sprinkling it fresh.  I tried to fit eleven on the bar pan and managed such, but they expanded during cooking to the point that they almost (but not quite) formed one amorphous mass of scone-iness.  I then managed another six - so I might suggest eight or nine per batch for integrity purposes.

The perfect cook-through seemed to be until significant golden-brown shows up on the higher points of the scone.  I waited eight minutes before applying the glaze, so it was slighter thicker than suggested.

Final verdict (scones):  These are excellent, hearty and filling with a perfect scone texture.  My only complaint is (despite the half cup in the batter) you don't taste the maple in the scone itself; it only comes out in the glaze.  Might as well have not wasted that half cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment