Saturday, October 6, 2012

New Plan - Engaged!

Today I made four of my five recipes and tried all but one.  (Well, two, if you count the one I haven't made yet.  Time traveling cookery!)  The remaining won't be consumed until Monday morning, so I can provide no intel on it as of yet.

I started with the lemon cranberry scones.  This is a very easy recipe, but I was honestly a bit dubious seeing how little butter there was in it.  I used a food processor to cut in the butter, as other scone recipes have indicated.  My one gaffe was not flouring my hands ahead of time - I had to peel it off my palms to get it on the cookie sheet.

It's deceptive how much glaze three tablespoons makes - it absolutely saturates the top of the scone round and, in fact, makes it a trifle difficult to tell when the scones are fully cooked because the top remains a bit gooey.

Final verdict (scones):  These are quite good, and they taste exactly like regular, full-fat scones.  There's just enough lemon to add interest.  Recommended.

Next, I started on the pumpkin hazelnut flaugnarde.  Again, a very simple recipe:  the nuts go in the bottom of the pie plate and float up as soon as the blended mixture is added.  I chose to use additional vanilla extract rather than a vanilla bean here, as vanilla beans are rather precious.

I did find it baked a bit faster than advertised, and the mixture is right up to the brim of the pie plate - exercise caution when sliding into the oven.  How I didn't end up with some on the floor of the oven, I still don't know.

Final verdict (flaugnarde):  This has a nice, subtly sweet flavor and a good pudding texture to it, but I'm not tremendously impressed.  I think it may just be that I'm not in the mood for pumpkin, after all, but there's too many good recipes to keep this one.

Next, dinner prep for the southwestern medley, which primarily involved a lot of chopping and measuring.  The dry / whole ingredients went in one bowl, the wet ingredients / spices whisked in another and then poured on top.  The major hurdle I ran into is that it's almost impossible to prepare a one cup cooked serving of quinoa.  I needed a much smaller saucepan - and I was using my small one.  It ended up burning a bit and not properly plumping up.  So not quite sure what to suggest here - get a really tiny saucepan?  Prepare quinoa for something else at the same time?

Even with that withstanding, however ...

Final verdict (medley):  This is amazingly good for something so simple - dashes of acid, a hint of sweet from the mango, and some spicy kick.  Honestly, a bit too much spice ... I'd wonder about the jalapeno, but if I'd used a smaller one, the individual bits would have just been more spicy.  (They do get hotter the smaller they are.)

After dinner, I prepared the breakfast quinoa, which came out looking a lot like oatmeal.  I felt the urge to stir, because there was a lot of cinnamon in it, and it chose to creep up the sides of the saucepan.  I added the raisins and applesauce, but kept the pecans and apples in reserve to add with each individual serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment