Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Chili Chili Bang Bang

Made Skinnytaste's 3 Bean Turkey Chili today, a slow cooker meal that I started before my morning student arrived.  Discovered I had whole canned chiles rather than chopped ones, but it was the work of a moment to fix that issue.  I used my ten-inch skillet to brown the meat and onions, but wished I had used the twelve-inch - more room to move everything around.  This recipe uses a lot - a LOT - of chili powder.  I was stunned at the quantity.

I cooked the chili for about three hours on Low, then switched it to High for the remaining time.  Since the red onion and cilantro are a garnish, I chopped only as much as I needed for one portion.

Verdict (chili):  This had far more tomatoes in it than I expected, but it turned out flavorful and hearty.  To be honest, the turkey wasn't much to speak of - I could have done without it - but the assortment of beans was very satisfying.  Would make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment