Saturday, September 29, 2012

Menu Plan: Weekend of 9/29

This weekend, I'm delving into a trio of dishes, ice cream made with some of the best candy in the world, and - because I bought a digital candy thermometer and I've been bound and determined to do this for days, darnit - homemade marshmallows.  Flavored with liquor.  Alcohol.  Booze, yo.

The soup I've made before; all else is new.

Chicken & Almond Soup - 500 Indian Recipes (Shehzad Husain, Rafi Fernandez, Mridula Baljekar and Manisha Kanani)
The Rainbow Room's Carrot and Peanut Salad - Forever Summer (Nigella Lawson)
Fried Pea and Mint Patty Sandwiches:  Pea-lafels
Dime Bar Ice Cream - Forever Summer (Nigella Lawson)
Marshmallows - Lisa Cooper-Holmes

The marshmallow recipe was acquired from a cooking class I took recently.  I'm intending to flavor them with chambord.  According to the instructor, this recipe is easier than other variants, so I'm pretty confident.

I am also ridiculously excited about the fact that I need both egg yolks and egg whites, so that means I get to use the leavings from the ice cream, for a change.

Variants and substitutions:

According to the almighty Google, Dime / Daim bars are most closely approximated to Skor bars, which if you haven't encountered, are really wonderful things.  Single cream is not available in my store, so I've gone for regular cream.  Also could not acquire coriander seeds, so will be using ground.

By choice, I omitted the pitas and additional vegetables - I didn't want sandwiches, just patties to go as a side dish.

(As an aside:  I have been cooking since my last set of posts, just way too worn out / busy to write here.  Plus, it was beginning to feel like a chore ... and if I'm not doing it for fun, why am I doing it?  But I'm back, and we'll see how it goes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment