Friday, May 25, 2012

Menu Plan: Weekend of 5/26

I did cook last weekend, but I was just too wiped out in general to try writing a post.  I spent most of the previous week sick as a dog, which was much helped by the fact that I had baked a comforting gingerbread cake from Claire MacDonald's Seasonal Cooking.  Everything I've made from this book has been simple and excellent.  The gingerbread recipe had to recommend it the use of golden raisins and preserved ginger - which as I have noted previously, I am (more than slightly) obsessed with.

To sum up last weekend, I made a pair of Hawaiian (I believe) recipes from Cook's Country, Captain's Chicken and a Hawaiian Pasta Salad, both of which were excellent - subtle differences from more mainstream recipes.  The chicken in particular was very good:  I scarfed up the topping / vegetable medley, and I usually tolerate that stuff at best.  I also made pistachio macaroons courtesy of Nigella Lawson, which was a major quantity and texture fail - but also produced an insane pistachio buttercream.  I'm tempted to make more of the stuff now and just eat it by the spoonful.


For this week, I still have leftover pasta salad, so I sought a recipe that would go well with it.


Tropical Chicken Bake - Taste of Home's Casserole Cookbook
Strawberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream - The Perfect Scoop (David Lebovitz)


Unfortunately, I forgot until after I shopped that I had decided to increase the quantity from this book, so we'll just have to see how much I end up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment