Sunday, February 5, 2012

Quantity Overkill

Cooked again this weekend with the following menu:

Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Soup - Allrecipes Tried & True Slow Cooker & Casserole
Apple Chunk Bread

(I also had cupcakes pulled from the fabulous Nigella Lawson's baking book, but came to my senses when I saw how much I had left over from last week. Also, I had a sickcrash after I got back from rehearsal, so baking would have been out of the question anyway.)

I underestimated how long it would take me to peel and dice five potatoes. Five? Really? Watching the number of potatoes build up, I began to have ... qualms. Soldiering onwards, I did my best to cut the bacon into the appropriate sized pieces. Are there special bacon knives? I can never seem to get it to cut properly.

As a sidebar, I did decide to use regular black pepper rather than white and - of course, a habit picked up from my mother - chicken stock rather than broth. When I poured the original amount in, I was stunned at how full the slow cooker turned out to be. It wasn't until later that I considered I would have to add more and worried about how that was going to work ... but luckily, the level of liquid had soaked into the potatoes by then.

Not much to impart about the bread, except I managed to cut the apple before I peeled it (again). My recipe is a file card with corrections penned in, and I can't tell which are supposed to be corrections and which additions, so mileage may have varied on this one. I had to hang around a little bit more before taking off for rehearsal because I forgot I'd have to add apple during the first kneading cycle and at the beep!

Final verdict (bread): Not bad, but nothing exceptional. It's a little dense, without being too much so. The apples don't really stand out. Won't repeat.

I came back from my rehearsal, fell asleep for a bit, then wobbled back downstairs to finish the soup. The final step is to add flour whisked with half and half, then evaporated milk (why do they call it evaporated? It looks plenty liquid to me; must look that up), which results in a nigh-overflowing slow cooker. So by the time I was ready to eat, it was a little past 7pm.

Final verdict (soup): This is a decent, hearty soup that makes hardcore quantities (minus what I ate, I had to put it in *two* storage containers), but it isn't particularly flavorful or exceptional.

No comments:

Post a Comment