Saturday, December 3, 2011

Menu Plan: Weekend of 12/3

I can't believe it: here last week was one of the biggest cooking holidays of the year, and not a peep out of me. Too busy with family and the multitude of dishes for the big meal. Old stand-bys like proper mashed potatoes - coarse, chunky, skins-on, thank you very much - and sage sausage stuffing ... which frankly, I could eat a whole bowl of and not miss the rest of the meal. New experiments like a hearty corn pudding that was really half cornbread, but very tasty nonetheless. Adventures in bread-machining.

My father's birthday was also over this stretch, and I made Nigella Lawson's Torta Alla Gianduja, a decadent hazelnut cake. Because my mom isn't overly fond of bittersweet chocolate, I went half-and-half with semi-sweet ... which turned out to be just the right balance of rich and sweet. Addictive. Highly recommended. (Also if you make it here in the states, you end up with almost an entire container of Nutella, because it needs an ounce more than our packages contain ... so that is never bad.)

Speaking of adventures in bread-machining, this weekend:

Rosemary Bread - unknown recipe card
Slow-Cooker Curried Chicken With Ginger and Yogurt

Slow cooking occurs because I will once more be herding harpers this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment