Friday, July 29, 2011

Menu Plan: Weekend of 7/30

This weekend, I still have dessert left over from last week. (Dessert: the best of leftovers.) However, I have a meeting with my harp mentor on Tuesday, and I intend to bribe with cookies, so the plan is to make them Monday evening or potentially Sunday daytime. I want them to be fresh, but I have a crazy week ahead of me ...

Here's the lineup:

Carrot and Coriander Soup - Best-Ever Slow Cooker One-pot & Casserole Cookbook (Catherine Atkinson and Jenni Fleetwood)
Ladies' Thighs - Unknown Turkish / Mediterranean cookbook
Pistachio Poppy Bread
Christmas Decorations - How To Be A Domestic Goddess (Nigella Lawson)

All right, they're technically Christmas cookies, but they're a nice, generic, mildly spicy cookie. Substitutions to note:

The soup and the ladies' thighs call for one onion each. I will be using an onion to divide between the two.

Ladies' Thighs: This calls for sunflower oil to fry. Regular vegetable oil will be used here. Says to serve with lemon wedges, which I will skip.

Pistachio Poppy Bread: One of the reviewers says that the pistachios on top make it difficult to cut, so I will skip the additional quantity.

Christmas Decorations: Not making the frosting - I have a quantity of white chocolate frosting that still seems (and tastes) very good. I won't be frosting all the cookies, maybe about half. I managed to find three small-to-medium cutters that weren't Christmassy: a heart, a star, a hegaxon (how geometrical) and a circle. I also have a set of Easter cutters (... I have no idea why), but those are no more appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment