Friday, June 17, 2011

Menu Plan: Weekend of 6/18

This weekend, I'm drawn by a few tastes I usually wouldn't gravitate to: apples, oatmeal and mint. (Not in the same dish ... though that sounds like it would be tasty, now that I think of it. It also sounds like a very easy Chopped basket.)

Here's how it looks:

Panko Schnitzel With Apple Salsa
Parmesan Potato Pancake
Oatmeal Cream Cheese Butterscotch Bars
Fresh Mint Ice Cream

This is the first time in a while all my chosen recipes are available online, so check them out!

Two thoughts about the schnitzel. First off, I cooked pork for the first time a couple weeks ago as a weekday meal. I had picked up a spice rub in Maryland and wanted to try it out. So I had pork on the brain (figuratively, not literally - that would be unsanitary) when I saw Roger Mooking's show on the Cooking Channel. Second off, Mooking pounded his cutlets, a step which is omitted in the recipe, so I'm not sure which way to jump.

Substitutions:

Schnitzel: When making the salsa, Mooking indicated you could use whatever herbs you preferred, so I will probably go with dill rather than tarragon, seeing as I already have dill on hand.

Ice Cream: Depending on the availability / price of creme fraiche, I may use sour cream instead. It should still work.

No comments:

Post a Comment