Friday, March 25, 2011

Menu Plan: Weekend of 3/26

I'm baaaaaack.

Having finished Nigella Lawson's book, I'm now forging through Rick Bayless' evocative, information Mexican Kitchen. I refuse to punctuate it as Bayless's, as the book itself does. To me, that's grammatical sacrilege. One word of caution to the potential reader: lots of specialty ingredients. Bayless seems to have overmuch faith in the reader's ability or wherewithal to seek out unusual items such as avocado leaves ... and I live an area that has a lot of obscure and /or ethnic ingredients commonly available at the grocery store. I hate to think how my mother - in Baltimore - would fare.

Anyhow, on to the game plan for this weekend, and I am probably biting off more than I can chew - figuratively, not literally. I've got:

Oaxacan Black Bean Soup - Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen
Lemon-Raspberry Muffins - How To Be A Domestic Goddess (Nigella Lawson)
Honey Ice Cream With Cinnamon and Cloves

To supplement that ice cream portion, because at a glance, it doesn't seem to make much, I'm also making Reese's Dessert Bar Mix from Betty Crocker. This no-bake concoction makes what appears to be a miserly portion of a rich, addictive little chocolate-peanut butter bar. It's intense enough that the little pan is plenty.

Since I have an early afternoon gig, the plan is to shop early (or today, if I can find the time), get the dessert bars in the fridge and the infused milk prepared so it can sit - before I leave. The worst part will be the beans: they need to cook for 1.5 - 2 hours. So the first thing I do when I get in the door from my gig will be to prep that.

It will serve me right if it's Sunday by the time I actually eat. Ahem.

And yes, I know that lemon-raspberry muffins aren't the most obvious combination for Mexican, but they sounded so much better than corn hoecakes that I had to spring for them.

Also, I prepare for round two with the all-mighty immersion blender ...

No comments:

Post a Comment