Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Cooking Class (Part 3)

Smile, you're on camera! This evening, someone had a fairly professional camera set-up, recording the class. I'm not sure what it was for - blackmail material? I don't think my hair was that bad. Or maybe they'd heard about my seafood allergy and were hoping to catch a dramatic first aid scene.

Through this class, I have discovered homemade ice cream, and it may be the death of me. (Maybe that was what the recording was for.) Other tastes I didn't realize I would like: watercress and bamboo shoots. (Though I learned that you don't see raw bamboo shoots because they contain a low level of cyanide. Again with the trying to kill me.)

More cutting tricks, including the idea of holding broccoli upside down and cutting the florets off along the path of least resistance. I succumbed to the lure of all these knife tips and bought myself a knife steel. Huzzah for sharp cutlery!

Some parts of this class were a refresher for me. I was already familiar with the principles behind mixing butter into flour in pea-shaped pieces, creating a flaky, layered crust, and the fact that fruits like mangos and pineapple have enzymes that break down gluten. In the end, however, it was all very satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment