Friday, February 18, 2011

Menu Plan: Weekend of 2/19

This weekend's menu plan comes from territories west of left field, but they're all tastes I enjoy:

Sage Butter Macaroni and Four Cheese
Sweet & Sour Pineapple - 500 Indian Recipes (Shehzad Husain, Rafi Fernandez, Mridula Baljekar and Manisha Kanani)
Double Espresso Brownies - Source unknown


... or more accurately, source I-am-too-lazy-to-find. Though there is nothing distinctly Christmas about them, these came out of the Christmas cookie file (they're also not cookies, but go with me here) and so, presumably, from one of several dozen cookie booklets my mother passed on. I am not exaggerating. They are labeled A - Z ... AA - ZZ ... and I think there might be an AAA floating around, with stands for Alliterative Anal-Retentives Anonymous. (Actually, it doesn't, because "anal retentive" only has a hyphen when it's used as an adjective, so technically that would be AARA ...)

In any case, I made these cookies years ago. They're very rich and more espresso-y than sweet. At the time, we marked "time-consuming" on them. I figured it was time for another try.

Substitution notes: the pineapple dish requires crushed dried chillis. A little Googling suggested that red pepper flakes would be adequate, so unless I happen to see these and they are reasonably priced, I'll be substituting. The same recipe calls for black mustard seeds. After another search engine hit (over the internet, no one knows you're an addict), I discovered that the black seeds are the mildest, so I decide given my love of spice, I'm safe substituting regular mustard seeds.

Onions have seeds? And you can eat them? I may be using onion powder instead. Same with cumin seeds - I'm not sure whether I want to buy whole seeds for one recipe. This recipe is rapidly not looking much like the original.

As always, I'm pleased to provide recipes for the curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment