Saturday, February 12, 2011

Life is Uncertain: Eat Dessert First

Noticing that lemon zest is again required, I firmly lectured myself that - having to play for three hours later tonight - I couldn't afford to zest off my knuckles. So for variety, I cut my pinky finger opening a new roll of parchment paper. But hey, one doesn't play with the pinky, so no harm, no foul.

Embarassing transcription error discovered as I went to pre-heat the oven. I took this recipe out of the Cook's Country year-end compilation, which means it's a massive hardcover book and virtually impossible to photocopy from. The cookie recipe was conveniently situated right on the fold, so I was forced to hand-copy it. Come on, why would you construct a book like this? Isn't the assumption that people are going to photocopy so they can view the recipe while cooking?

Or does everyone have a bookstand in their kitchen with magical cleaning gnomes to prevent it from getting dirty, and no one sent me mine?

So - yes. The oven needed to be 375, not 275. I knew that was fishy. This is a quick, easy recipe, but it is one of the stickiest, densest doughs I've encountered in a while. I made the mistake of chilling it in plastic wrap. Do not do this. I probably lost at least another cookie to the plastic. Next time - the bowl just goes straight in the fridge.

Final verdict: ... and there will definitely be a next time. These are light, fluffy and really good. Says to bake them for 15 minutes, but they dry out quick, so I wouldn't give them any more than thirteen and a half. They're also not terribly lemony - by the time it bakes, it's a subtle flavor. And I was pretty generous with my 2 teaspoons, so I'm thinking about stepping it up next time.

... and there will definitely be a next time.

(Recipe available upon request.)

No comments:

Post a Comment